European Journal of Rheumatology
Original Article

Does isoniazid chemoprophylaxis increase the frequency of hepatotoxicity in patients receiving anti-TNF-α agent with a disease-modifying antirheumatic drug?

1.

Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Eskişehir Osmangazi University Faculty of Medicine, Eskişehir, Turkey

2.

Department of Internal Medicine, Eskişehir Osmangazi University Faculty of Medicine, Eskişehir, Turkey

Eur J Rheumatol 2014; 1: 62-66
DOI: 10.5152/eurjrheumatol.2014.019
Read: 20 Downloads: 2 Published: 03 September 2019

Abstract

Objective: The aim of this study is to determine the incidence of isoniazid (INH)-related hepatotoxicity in patients with rheumatologic diseases receiving tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) antagonists along with a disease-modifying antirheumatic drug (DMARD).

 

Material and Methods: We have retrospectively evaluated 87 patients receiving anti-TNFα agents who were followed up between June 2005 and February 2010 at our rheumatology department. Sixty-one of 87 patients have received INH prophylaxis for 9 months for latent tuberculosis infection.

 

Results: A total of 61 (70.1%) of 87 patients used INH prophylaxis (Group I), while the remaining 26 (29.9%) (Group II) had not; 53 patients had used any DMARD in Group I, while 21 patients had used in Group II. No significant differences were found among Group I and II with respect to clinical features. When two groups were compared, in Group I, elevations of liver enzymes were detected in five patients (8.1%) who had normal baseline values. Among these patients, hepatotoxicity developed in two patients. Hepatotoxicity developed one patient in Group II (p=0.85).

 

Conclusion: INH chemoprophylaxis was well tolerated in patients using anti-TNF-α agent and a DMARD. It seems not to be a strong risk factor for hepatotoxicity. However, comorbidities and other drugs used may be additional factors in the elevation of transaminases.

 


Files
ISSN2147-9720 EISSN 2148-4279